Colonial Nursery Trees
Pot N Pot
A few years ago Colonial Nursery started its Pot N Pot operation. There were several reasons
for this decision, but the biggest one was to supply our customers with the finest trees of caliber
size in July, August, September, October, & November.
As you may or may not know, we will not dig trees when they are “leafed out.” It is too hard on
the tree & the rate of survival is very poor. With the Pot N Pot operation there is NO digging,
NO transplant shock & trees can be planted anytime you can dig the hole.
One of the unexpected benefits we have discovered is a few varieties do better in
Pot N Pot (grow faster) than they do in our fields.
This year’s drought has reinforced our commitment & our investment in Pot N Pot because
of the obvious irrigation advantage it offers.
What does Pot N Pot actually entail? Obviously you have 2 pots, 1st pot is buried in the ground,
then the 2nd pot with the tree or shrub liner and soil mix is placed inside the 1st pot.
“Pot N Pot” pretty simple isn’t it, but the devil is in the details.
For all this to work the key to success is in the preparation.
- The ground needs to be level.
- A drainage ditch needs to run the entire length of the row with a slight slope.
- A layer of coarse rock or gravel needs to be laid down.
- Then added perforated pipe is run the entire length of the row with coarse rock
or gravel on top of that. (You must have excellent drainage.)
- Mark off your pot spots, dig & bury them, making sure they’re level.
- Some time you will need to install the irrigation system.
So as you can see it is a little more complicated than one might think.
Pot N Pot is an investment that Colonial Nursery does not take lightly,
if done right it works well.
Download our trees price list.
Visit our trees photo gallery